Nutrition Programme in South Durban
The mandate and mission remains the same as for North Durban, but the impact is with communities down south of Durban …
- Normal kitchen activities ceased altogether due to Covid-19 so Purity and Cheryl joined the Durban North Disaster Response Unit to help feed the hungry in the South
- The Toti bakkie was delivered to Durban North to be used to help with distribution of disaster hampers so we co-opted Cliff Dann to help with distribution of hampers in Amanzimtoti and surrounding areas
- A call was put out to the church community and a substantial amount of food and funds were collected
- Packed the hampers and delivered to the people in the community.
- When the bakkie came back to Toti we collected and distributed hampers to the community, ECD owners and all our beneficiaries as well as some Non-Profits Organisations in the South Durban area.
No sandwiches were made or distributed during April – August 2020. We have however started making (volunteers assisting from home) and distributing samies to partnering school in need.
Approximately 200 Hope Hampers were collected and delivered to communities in need.
Each crèche owner together with the most vulnerable families were given a disaster hampers to see them through the 3 week period.
Jam SA – crèche owners were given porridge to distribute to the families of the children in their crèches, which helped them tremendously.
- There were not sufficient relief hampers donated to assist the increase in the demands we received, but that is to be expected as there were and are so many people out of work and lost their jobs that were not in a position to donate/support our requests
- Not having a dedicated community driver, but management are looking into this as a longer term solution and for a partner/sponsor to make this happen.
- Some of our beneficiaries have experienced a lot of emotional upheaval and are struggling through this. They are very fearful and confused. I have had phone calls and messages asking for emotional help and support.
- The community have heard about The Domino Foundation now and it seems to have made them more aware of our work here. Great for our awareness!
- Individuals have donated funds to the Toti kitchen, more than ever before and we are delighted!
Meet Cheryl Dann here
Are you based in the South Basin and hungry for more information … Click here
Look at all this lunch box love …
Driven to live a lift of purpose?
If so and you live and work in the Amamzimtoti area and have the resources to sponsor a qualified and responsible driver to do the food deliveries for Domino South Durban Kitchen to our local partnering ECD, Primary and High schools? That would be so amazing, please connect with our Donor Relations Team Karen Brokensha or Tarin Stevenson to help us deliver nutrition and relief aid and it will create a new job!