- Get them to like and follow us on our socials
- Individuals can sign up as monthly direct debit donor
- Make a financial gift donation on your birthday or anniversary month
- Refer your HR/IR/CSI/Diversity champions to our Donor Relations Team
- Churches can you connect us to your Mercy and Justice Ministries
- Do you know local or international organisations looking for new partners in Durban, KZN or SA
Even the Corona Virus could not lock us out from trying to teach English phonetic sounds and letter recognition to our 324 little beneficiaries at Ekutheleni Primary School in Besters.
Our primary COVID goal was – To create online teaching resources that Grade 2 learners could use to practice and as revision exercises.
And how did we achieve this?
We created a series of Whatsapp videos and uploaded them to our Domino You Tube channel and then communicated with the school to access the contact details of the parents/caregivers as we wanted to ensure that every child had an opportunity to access the resources created on the internet.
What was challenging?
- mobile data is exorbitantly expensive so not easy for all parents/caregivers to access the resources online, we wanted to ensure that every child had an opportunity to access the resources created on the internet.
- increase in job losses and the pre-existing high unemployment rate in this community
- not being able to get hold of children as soon as lockdown level 5 happened
- learners not receiving their daily meals impacted on household food budgets and resources
However obstacles always represent opportunities!
We would like to create a Zero Rated Website to enable learners and their families to access the tools, resources and learning channels without needing data so that literacy and collective family learning can take place at any time whether at school, home or in the community.
Leigh-Anne Stevens, Literacy Team Leader said” One of my big learnings has been that we need to know more about our beneficiaries so that in times of crisis we can communicate more efficiently and respond more effectively”
This is Leigh-Ann Stevens
Learn more about the Literacy programme
Do you know Telecomms/IT/Web Guru people?
We are earnestly looking for a partner to develop and sponsor a Zero Rated Website for easy access to online educational programme content to the learners and their families for improved learning and literacy. We could even extend this and work with our Zulu foundation teachers to create literacy resources in the learner’s mother tongue. How exciting that would be!
We thought it would be super helpful to put all our programmes into a one page “big picture format” for you, to make it easy to identify with our common values and purpose and how each programme interconnects with the other.
The aim is to reduce vulnerability step by step in a beneficiary’s life creating a positive #DominoEffect from Cradle to Career, an beyond!
There are three additional safety net interventions for added support of Human Rights, Disaster Management and protecting the Environment.
We hope this inspires you, as your impact plays it part in this story!