Many women will share that they want to get out of the lifestyle, so you need to put systems in place to assess their commitment and tenacity to exit the industry.
Some helpful suggestions from our Redlight Programme Team.
- Hand out Contact Cards – have a separate cell phone with a different number to your personal one, where they can Whatsapp you or miss call you to meet up at another time. I would add the Human Trafficking Resource Line number 0800 222 777 on the card too so if they are desperate they can make contact at any time with the resource line
- If they don’t have a phone on them, but they know their number – you can do a follow up call with them the next day and make an arrangement to meet up.
- Always make a plan to meet up in a public place (restaurant or somewhere visible that the ladies are familiar with) and make sure you bring someone with you who can be watching from a distance as protection and can be there to pray.
- If they show up, bring a notepad with you and just share with them that you want to hear their story and get to know them – allow them to share without interrupting and write down as much as possible – up to you if you want to offer to pay for some food or drinks.
Possible questions to ask:
- Where they currently live and with who
- What area they come from, grew up?
- School and education level
- What family, children they have
- Previous activity before working on the streets
- How long have they been working in the industry, who introduced them to the streets?
- Addiction and substance abuse (often don’t admit truthfully so try to minimize this aspect)
- What would they like to do if they could do anything
Once they share all this information with you, you can share how you can/would like to assist them and to encourage them that all it takes is the courage to continue to show up to these meetings and you can share other stories of ladies and men who have successfully left the streets, who have got help getting out of addiction and into other employment opportunities.
FOLLOW UP REFERRALS
- The Domino Foundation – Redlight Program
Call Esther Madikane – Redlight Number 076 190 5037, or on the Domino Office number – 031 563 9605 or on email firstname.lastname@example.org
Based in Durban North
Domino Restoration Program can assist with:
- Refer to an Addiction rehabilitation program and support groups
- Spiritual Healing
- Skills development
- Education opportunities, short courses
- Stipends and basic needs provision to support while exiting the industry
- Vocational training and work experience
- Medical assistance
- The Open Door Crisis Centre: Pinetown +27 31 709 2679
- Clinic Services
- Place of Safety
- Human Trafficking Resource Line – 0800 222 777
If the ladies ever feel in danger or want to escape a situation – they can call that toll free number and someone will answer 24/7